Thursday, July 17, 2014

Carb-counting and Insulin Pump Therapy

Today, I met with an RN at my endo's office to discuss carb-counting and insulin pump therapy.

They also weighed me and I've lost 4 pounds since my appointment 2 weeks ago. I was happy to hear that, even if they thought it wasn't necessary. Anyway.

Apparently I've been miscalculating carbs in fruits and rice & potatoes (meh) so after she gave me a carb-counting sheet, we started discussing insulin pumps. She gave me three brochures on some new insulin pumps that she recommends and showed me some of their demo models. I'm not sure which one I'd choose at this point, but two of them might be compatible with my Dexcom in a few years.

One is called the Tandem t:slim and it's a touch screen with a rechargeable battery.
Another is the Medtronic MiniMed 530G and it has its own blood sugar sensor (like the Dexcom) and is really user friendly.
The third is the OneTouch Ping by Animas, and it's apparently "tubeless," meaning there's no tubing connecting the pump to the infusion site.

I'm going to have to look over the brochures more to see which one might be good for me. I'm still on the fence about it.

No comments: