Thursday, November 30, 2017

Sudden Drop In Basal Rate

I've been taking 8 units of Levemir every 8 hours for the past 2 weeks or so and last night I'm glad I didn't bolus for dinner!
My basal needs dropped and I found myself watching Levemir cover my high protein meal of chicken and broccoli.
I dropped dose to 6 units Levemir at midnight and went down to 64 overnight (Dex woke me up). A little glucose brought me up to 94 and I dropped Levemir to 5 units at 8am.  After that, it seemed to be holding steady.
I've never seen this before but hopefully it's the start of improving my 6.7 a1c?  Or perhaps it's just female hormones trying to mess with me.  Either way, I was pleasantly surprised to not have to deal with blood sugar spikes overnight.

This is also a good reminder to keep an eye on how your blood sugar is reacting, even and especially when you're tempted to just continue what you're doing and throw your diabetes on the back burner.  Diabetes is like a child -- sometimes it cries for attention, and sometimes it's so quiet you begin to wonder what kind of trouble it is getting into.  It's up to YOU to keep an eye on it!

2 comments:

Rick Phillips said...

As a guy who dropped his A1c form 7.9 to 5.9 I have some advice. It is just advice, but here goes.

When you are dropping and you have been at an A1C greater than 6.5 it is always important to check your blood sugar before you treat the low. The reason is that we tend to be hyper sensitive to drops. I once treated a Blood sugar of 220 that felt every bit like 55 does today. Our bodies are crazy machines.

Rachel said...

Very true, Rick! Great advice!

I always check my blood sugar with my glucometer before making any treatment decisions. I don't trust my Dexcom enough for that, even though sometimes it is spot on. I just use Dex for spotting trends, seeing how my blood sugar responds to certain foods, and for alerting me to highs or lows when I'm not paying attention (or sleeping). In this case, Dex alerted me to a real low during the night. I fingersticked, treated, and rechecked to make sure it was back at target.