Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Lesson on Forgiveness

I think I can say that I've created over 100 characters for my stories. Not all of them are main characters. Most are background characters, but they are all important. Two of the most dynamic are the brother and sister duo, Chris and Leslie Thompson. I had very little idea how much they would have to teach me when I first thought them up. As I continued writing their lives into my storyline, they revealed some very profound truths that I was only too happy to learn.

The main thing was forgiveness.

You see, Chris and Leslie's father is murdered before anything in the story takes place, but the suspect gets away without a trace. It's not until a few years later that evidence surfaces and his identity can be pieced together. However, the siblings respond in very different ways to their father's death and are driven in completely different directions.

Leslie becomes bitter and angry, passionately hating whoever took her father from her, but she keeps her emotions pent up until they turn into depression. She finds herself running farther away from God and deeper into sin.

Chris, on the other hand, turns his grieving heart toward Jesus and embraces the loving relationship he has with his heavenly Father. Because of his trust, he grows in wisdom and faith and helps to bring others to Christ.

In the end, both siblings come to realize (Chris more easily than Leslie) that forgiveness will bring the peace they need. Although Chris and Leslie took different paths to reach the same destination - forgiving their father's murderer - both have taught me very valuable lessons in the process.

Leslie taught me about the seriousness of sin and its empty pleasures. Leslie's struggles with anger and depression actually come from my own struggles. Giving her my same tendencies toward sin helped me to see and accept the struggles I might have denied otherwise. You know how it's usually easier to point out the sin in the lives of other people than it is to acknowledge that same sin in your own life? That's what I mean.

Chris taught me about how much I should desire a strong relationship with Christ. It's true. My own creation made me wish I had a stronger relationship with my Creator. Although I should've recognized this before, God in His great mercy revealed my regenerate soul's desire to know Him more while I was simply doing what I love to do. How awesome is He to come and meet me where I am, to connect with me when I am using the very gifts He gave me. Only a personal and loving God would do that!

No comments: