Friday, September 5, 2014

Rough Day

crazy days photo crazydays_zpsa8e9143d.jpg

Yesterday and today have been pretty rough for me, diabetes-wise.  It was Dexcom Day for me, or the day I'm supposed to change my sensor.  My first sensor was on my right side and seemed to still be holding up pretty well.  I decided to try to make it last a little longer and reset the sensor session.  After a 2 hour wait to recalibrate it, everything seemed to be going fine.  Then, around 8pm, it gave me the alert that it couldn't pick up readings from my sensor.  I waited for about an hour, since it had been able to sort itself out last time.  As bedtime neared, I decided to just go ahead and start over with a new sensor.  I inserted the new sensor on my left side and waited the 2 hour time period for calibration.

Upon calibrating, I noticed that the system wasn't recognizing the correct blood sugar values as it had done the first time.  In fact, it was saying I was low when I was actually in the 160s.  Then, the Dexcom stopped showing me numbers.  I had some tea and bolused for it, and then went to bed around 2am.

I slept off and on, waking up and checking my Dexcom to see what it was doing throughout the night.  It was HIGH all night.

Most of my nights this week have been filled with waking and checking - not very restful!  I'm continually tired and frustrated.

Around 6:40, I woke to my Dexcom telling me my number was still high.  I calculated a correction and gave myself a shot.  As I rolled over to go back to sleep, I had the notion to check my number on my glucometer.  It came back at a shocking 187.  I realized I had just given myself an overdose and ran into the kitchen for more tea and raisins (they have lots of sugar!) to equal the "bolus" I'd just given.  My number stayed safe and I was able to go back to sleep.

Lesson learned.  Always check your meter!  Don't do anything without a fingerstick!  Unfortunately, lack of sleep caused a lapse in judgment this time.

It's just hard because I'm trying to conserve test strips.  I'm not sure when I will be able to get more.  I need to call the pharmacy to see if my endo's new prescription has come in. 

No comments: