I received notification of a software update for my Dexcom receiver. Since it required that all of my data be erased and my Dexcom be returned to factory defaults I opted to print all of my numbers before they were lost. I removed my last sensor (since it was falling out anyway and unbearably itchy!) and am now waiting for the update to be completed.
Yesterday I got a call from the Dexcom rep who had been waiting to hear back about my insurance coverage. Seems my new insurance will not cover my Dexcom directly through their company, so we're going to try running it through a different medical supply company.
Update was completed successfully. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until I can get more sensors...please let the insurance get sorted out quickly, Lord!