Monday, April 11, 2016

Official Hashimoto's Thyroiditis Diagnosis

Today, my holistic doctor gave me an official diagnosis:  Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  You can read about it more here:  http://www.thyroidawareness.com/hashimotos
Basically, it is an autoimmune disease (like Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac Disease) where my body mistakes my thyroid cells for foreign invaders and attacks them with antibodies, preventing them from doing their job (which is regulating metabolism).  My immune system is all out of whack, and I've got a ton of inflammation because of it. 

My antibodies should be less than 35u/mL (or 0, as my doctor said) and they were way off the charts at 610!  He prescribed me a new thyroid medication (Armour Thyroid 30mg), which is being ordered by the pharmacy and should be ready in a few days.  I've already sent my labs to Carrie's office, and I'll tell them about my new diagnosis and prescription.  Hopefully they'll be okay with it because, honestly, I know my levothyroxine hasn't been cutting it.  I need to take this new Armour medication - it's my body and my choice to pick up the slack that's been lacking for who knows how long...I still can't believe I was never diagnosed with Hashmoto's before I went to this holistic doctor!  I'm truly thankful that I found them!

Along with my Hashimoto's diagnosis, he told me that in order to cut down on the inflammation in my body and decrease my CRP result (which measures for risk of cardiovascular issues) there are some supplements I need to take that not only serve the purpose of reducing inflammation but will also help improve my blood sugar levels and my insulin effectiveness!  I've been looking into purchasing them but there are quite a few and they are going to be a bit pricey.  They are:

Tumeric/Curcumin (anti-inflammatory)
Chromium (improves insulin resistance and blood sugar regulation)
Boswellia (anti-inflammatory)
Biotin (a B vitamin that promotes healthy skin, hair and nails, and also helps regulate blood sugar levels)
Fish Oil (anti-inflammatory)
DHEA (which is depleted by injected insulin - regulates sex hormone development and metabolism)
Theanine (improves stress levels and sleep)
Aged Garlic (cardiovascular protection/anti-inflammatory)


Once I get started on these I know I'll start seeing improvements in my blood sugar levels, as well as my energy levels!  I'm due to go back for more labs the last week of June to see how things are going, and to get my Vitamin D levels checked.  So in the meantime, I'll be figuring out how I'm going to get these supplements and work on improving my health.  I also need to spend 90 minutes a week doing some exercise, like walking.  Now that the weather is finally starting to warm up, I'll be able to go for walks on the Greenway.  :) 

No comments: