Sunday, March 22, 2015

Lovely numbers and Toxictabs

Since about noon today, my numbers have been amazing!  I had to have several glucotabs while working in Mom's garage, but it worked wonderfully! 

 photo 3-21-15_zps2ervqrcb.jpg

My number dipped a little after dinner/dessert, so I figure I must've bolused a bit too much, but it's okay now.

I've actually been looking at the ingredient list on my bottle of glucotabs and I'm a bit concerned about some of the things they list.  The Citrus Punch ones are the ones I'm concerned about, but the Grape ones have several of the same ingredients. 

Anyway, here it is:  ReliOn's Citrus Punch glucotabs
Dextrose (D-Glucose), Potassium Citrate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Citric Acid, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Cottonseed), Ascorbic Acid, Malic Acid, FD&C Red #40 Aluminum Lake, Natural and Artificial Flavor.

Let me unpack this list, because there are a few things I don't think belong in glucotabs:

Dextrose (D-Glucose) = a natural form of glucose; one of its isomers.
Potassium Citrate = a potassium salt of citric acid; regulates acidity
Microcrystalline Cellulose refined wood pulp; composed of glucose units
Magnesium Stearate = salt containing magnesium and stearic acid; potentially harmful as stearic acid suppresses immunity (NOT GOOD!)
Citric Acid = natural preservative found in citrus fruits
Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Cottonseed) = a by-product of industrial waste produced during cottonseed processing; GMO!  (EW!)
Ascorbic Acid = naturally occurring organic compound with antioxidant properties
Malic Acid = natural substance found in fruits and vegetables
FD&C Red #40 Aluminum Lake = contains dangerous amounts of aluminum and harmful carcinogens containing petroleum, antifreeze, and ammonia.  (UM, WHAT!?)
Natural and Artificial Flavor = edible and inedible chemicals

So, yeah, I'm seriously concerned about the things they put in these glucotabs.  (More like TOXICTABS!)

Methinks I should be looking for another source of fast acting sugar with which to treat my lows.
Stay turned for my next episode - what's in your insulin?


No comments: