Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Why Cheating Is Not An Option


“You’ve earned the right to splurge a little.” 
“You deserve a little reward.”
“It’s okay, a little splurge won’t hurt.”

Have you ever heard these before?  Maybe they were said to you.  Maybe you yourself have said them.  They’re fairly common among dieters, especially anyone who’s trying to lose weight.  Unfortunately, they’re not the helpful pick-me-ups we think they are.  

Most people say things like this to praise dieters for their good work in sticking with their weight loss plan.  They do well and stay faithful to their eating plan for 6 days of the week, and “treat” themselves on the 7th day.  However, this sort of behavior not only hinders those dieters from accomplishing their goal, it also sets them up for more and more trouble in the future. 

More temptations.  “Just a little bite of this sweet thing won’t hurt…even though I’ve had one already…”
More excuses.  “I work so hard to stick to my diet.  Another little treat won’t hurt.” 
More slacking.  “I should have 2 cheat days instead of just 1.” 
Less faithfulness.  “I know I said I’d cut back on my cheating, but this will be the last time…promise.”

Personally, I get the feeling that some people think my low carb diet is a fad, or a short term modification from which I can deviate every now and then.  I suppose I should stop using the term “diet,” since it automatically carries such connotations.  To be clear, I follow a low carb lifestyle the same way I am committed to an exclusive, heterosexual marriage.  I vowed to remain faithfully married to my husband for life, no exceptions.     

Think about it.

Does staying faithfully married for X number of years give me the right to cheat on my spouse, even just once?  No!  In the same way, cheating on my low carb, gluten free lifestyle, even just for one day, or one meal, would wreak havoc on my system and make me feel awful.  It’s just not worth it.

I’m committed to my way of eating.  I’m committed to my spouse.  I don’t deviate.  I don’t cheat.  I don’t splurge.  I stay true and faithful.  That’s what commitment is.  No ifs, ands, or buts.  

I’ve come too far to fall off the path now.  I’d be throwing away everything for which I’ve worked so hard.  I successfully made it through Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I will continue on this low carb lifestyle for the rest of my life, through every season, through pregnancy, through sickness and health.  It is key for me in regaining my health.  I’m pretty sure everyone wants me to continue to feel my best so I can spend and enjoy lots of time with them.  So that’s what I’m going to do.  

And if I ever feel the urge to splurge? 
It will be low carb all the way. 

No comments: