Friday, June 15, 2012

The Lady and Her Knight – A Poetic Proposal

            Although Thursday the 14th marked the 2 year anniversary of DP’s asking me to court him, the two of us had to work as usual but planned to spend time together afterward.  This made me happy because the last two days before I hadn’t seen much of him…he was, as he put it, doing “this and that.”  (Curious!  But I didn’t ask about it.  I tried to convince myself it was nothing – “He’s just playing video games with his brothers or writing his Star Wars story” - that he wouldn’t (couldn’t) possibly propose on the 14th.  Still, I knew I dreamed it would happen.) 
            Thursday evening after I got home from work, I was experiencing some discomfort from a small headache and minor back pain.  DP drove over to see me after some delays at his work and, shortly thereafter, my blood sugar decided to plummet into the 50s (much like it had done the day before).  While I tried to turn my attention toward raising my blood sugar, DP began distracting me by talking about the different animal pictures in my room.  Then he looked at my computer screen and noted the date:  “It’s the 14th…oh, I’m sorry, I forgot to bring you flowers.” 
            I smiled weakly.  I’d reminded him the day before…but I knew forgetting was nothing new for him. 
            “It’s ok,” I said. 
            “What would you like to do tonight?”
            “I don’t know,” I answered.  Get my number back up and feel better so I can actually enjoy whatever we end up doing. 
            Then, almost out of the blue, he asked me to show him the website for the place we wanted to get married.  I pulled up the site and scrolled through a few of the pictures.  He wanted to see the stone bridge.  Then he suggested we get dinner and go up there to check it out.  I was a little surprised and still shaky, but didn’t want to object.  (This was spontaneous…and sounded adventurous!)  I printed out directions and we hopped in the car, grabbing food at Wendy’s on the way.          
            He drove and I navigated as I scarfed down my food, finally starting to feel better.  The whole way up, I tried to focus on the roads we were supposed to take while he played the “Yellow Car” game (he won because I wasn’t paying attention to cars!).  Shortly before 8:30pm, we pulled up the gravel driveway and took a short stroll around the place.  The air was so crisp and clean; the woods were so green and alive.  A creek bubbled in the distance.  It was beautiful in the twilight sun.  We walked down to a map that showed us where the stone bridge was.  We followed the trail (at his suggestion) to the spot and found this lovely sight:

 
          
            We walked across to the other side, but the trail ended there, so we turned around.  He brought up the poetic text conversation we had had the night before and, suggesting we sit in the middle of the bridge wall, told me he’d been working on the love poem I’d requested of him a few months ago.  He asked if I wanted to hear it and, of course, I said, “Sure.”  He stood in front of me and proceeded to read the most beautiful poem I’ve ever heard (pausing for the few places that made me giggle): 

A Lady and Her Knight

This is the tale of a lady, her knight,
And the events that drew them together
As testimony to their faith and fight
Towards such joy to which they endeavor.

They met amidst the Remnant four years prior.
The lady, always shy, spoke in whispers;
She feared she’d never love, though she desired
A God-honoring knight to cherish her.

The knight proved himself the quirkiest sort:
A lover of scarves and sweet candy canes
Who oft’ brandished blades and witty retorts,
Adding humor from the day he first came.

Knight and lady shared a gift with the pen
Making their time spent together no chore;
They bonded by sharing tales they’d written,
Which the lady had never done before.

Outraged he became at the craven cur
Manipulating her heart so soft;
The knight sought God’s strength and defended her—
With flashing blade, he chased the villain off!

Relief and gratitude swelled in her heart.
They, now sharing bonds of the closest sort,
Embarked on ‘ventures grand, which proved the start
Of romance between them. He asked her to court;

Replied she with a most emphatic “YES!”
Though she’d made him for twenty minutes wait
To hear her reply, they both felt so blessed;
So began their best written tale to date.

Through joys and sorrows God carried these two:
Though they loathed the wait caused by needing gold,
In each low valley, God showed Himself true,
Shaping them according to His Son’s mold.

The knight once thought, like she, he’d never love,
That women thought him an unworthy man.
Yet he was proven wrong by God above;
Doubt holds no power compared to God’s plan.

He knew now she was his true love at last—
Sweeter than candies, more lus’trous than pearls!
God in his power healed their painful pasts.
The knight gladly swore off all other girls.

The lady’s smile caused her knight’s heart to sing;
The love in her eyes he could clearly see.
The knight then knelt, produced a dazzling ring,
And asked, “Milady, will you marry me?”

Following the lines of the last stanza, he did just as it said.  His voice was sweet and calm, lacking any hint of nervous quavering.  He knelt, opened a white cushioned box with a brilliant diamond ring, and awaited my answer. 


            My breath caught and I smiled.  He was really proposing! 
            “Yes, milord,” I answered quickly and quietly, not wanting to take 20 minutes this time.  There truly wasn’t any doubt!  He pulled me up into a hug and let out a happy sigh of relief.  It was then I could feel his heart pounding in his chest, though whether it was from nerves or delight I couldn’t tell.  “Yes,” I said again in his ear.  He then removed the ring from the box and slipped it on my finger.  “Thank you,” he said.  Then I heard the words he’d been saving for just that moment (and they sounded all the sweeter): “I love you.”

And that, my friends, is how the knight poetically proposed to the lady.       

No comments: