Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Roller Coaster Readings

Today is Day 6 of Dexcom readings.  I now have physical proof of the roller coaster I am riding with my blood sugar numbers.   Now I can clearly see why my numbers have been so frustrating...!!  (the red dots are my glucometer readings - very accurate!)

Dexcom - 6 Days photo BGrollercoaster_zps10582e9a.jpg

My average blood sugar number:  188
My highest blood sugar number:  336
My lowest blood sugar number:  68

I've been experimenting with a slight increase in overnight basal insulin because of a noticed pattern of waking up high.  It seemed to be that my number was rising around 8 am or so.

Three nights ago, I took 11 units of basal insulin, going to bed at 245 (took no correction) and woke up at 4:20 to a low of 72.  6 glucotabs and 2 hours later I was up to 173.

Two nights ago, I took 10 units of basal insulin and went to bed at 170, and woke up the next morning at 8:30 to a big fat 310 after steadily going higher throughout the night.

Last night I took 10.5 units of basal insulin and went to bed at 141.  It seems from there I stayed steady in the 130s for half the night, and then I slowly started to go lower around 4 am.

My alert woke me up this morning at 6:40 to tell me I was 70.  I treated with 2 glucotabs and waited 15 minutes.  At 6:55 I was 68.  I took 2 more glucotabs and waited another 15 minutes.  At 7:15 I was back up to 85 and rising.  I slept off and on until about 10.  It didn't feel all that restful.

And now I'm experiencing my first issue with my sensor.  It is not communicating with the transmitter/receiver.  I am waiting for it to correct itself.  If it goes for another 2 hours without resolving itself, I'll need to call Tech Support.

No comments: