Sunday, November 30, 2014

Sensor on the Fritz

I've now been using my Dexcom G4 Platinum for 95 days.  I cannot begin to express how much easier it has made managing my diabetes.  Being able to see my daily trends is amazing.  I no longer feel like I am aimlessly shooting in the dark when it comes to my numbers because I can see them on the little screen I hold in my hand and fit in my pocket. 

I don't feel like I am "connected" to my Dexcom the way I felt I was connected to a pump.  The wireless transmitter rarely feels like it's there (although I do have to remind my hubby which side it's on so that he doesn't bump it).  I have noticed that my readings are picked up better on my left side for some reason.  And I still input my readings even when my sensor is on the fritz...like it is right now. 

 photo 11-30-14_zps517b7337.jpg

It really stinks that this is the last sensor I have on hand and I have to wait until our next paycheck to order more.  I'm not looking forward to being without my Dexcom. 

I've been trying to stick to a low carb, high fat diet as much as possible, and I've noticed great success with my numbers when I do.  However, the holiday season has made sticking to it a little bit more difficult. 

My body reacts so strongly to sugar.  I have realized that even though lows scare me, I have to have self-control when treating them.  The rule of treatment for lows is take 15 grams, wait 15 minutes, and retest.  If still low, take another 15 grams.  Repeat until number responds/rises. 

My body sometimes takes longer than 15 minutes to react to the initial 15 grams of sugar I give myself, so rather than give another 15 grams every 15 minutes, I need to only give 15 grams once and wait for it to rise...otherwise I skyrocket (and then I have to correct with insulin, ugh!).  Trying to prevent the roller coaster highs is especially hard when you're busy or on the go. 

My average blood glucose has still managed to hover around the 200mg/dl range, translating to an A1C of 8.6%. 

If I can get my average number to stay around the 180mg/dl mark (20 points lower), I will reach my goal of an A1C in the 7% range by year's end.  I only have a month until that time, and my next checkup, fasting labs, and A1C check is on January 8.  Will I be able to reach my goal?  Is my A1C even in the 8% range?  Last time it was checked officially it was in the 10% range (end of August).  I am continually asking God to help me manage my numbers.   

No comments: