Monday, May 18, 2015

Crazy Stories

"Diabetes can sure bring some crazy moments.  So tell us your Top 3 craziest D related stories!  If you can't think of three, don't worry.  We're just as happy with one or two..."
I don't remember exactly when it was, but I know I was traveling with my family somewhere on a very long car ride.  I was laying on one of the back seats of our van getting ready to take a nap because I was tired.  I had this quick thought that I should test my blood sugar and I'm so glad I did!  When that 34 mg/dl popped up on the screen, I freaked.  I dove over the seat into the way back of our van where we had a cooler with snacks.  I popped open a can of soda and guzzled it down as fast as I could.  The scary thing was that I couldn't feel my blood sugar dropping while the car was in motion, even though I was sensitive to lows.  I'd never been that low in my life, and thankfully I've only ever been that low 1 or 2 times since.

Lows have a bad habit of coming at the worst possible times.  Just the other night I was putting my baby niece and nephew to bed when I checked my Dexcom.  It said I was 70 and dropping so I checked my blood sugar on my glucometer.  It came back at 56 mg/dl, and my first thought was, "Not right now!"  I was shaky and holding my niece, so I had my husband run and grab me some sugar cubes.  Thankfully, it came up quickly and held steady.

Another example of bad timing came just the other week during the middle of the night.  I woke up to my Dexcom telling me I was 70.  I tested and was 68 or so.  I took 2 sugar cubes to bring me up into the 80s and waited for the sugar to kick in.  An hour of watching my Dexcom showed no blood sugar rise, so I tested again, and took 2 more sugar cubes.  I waited another hour with no sleep and saw no increase, so I tested a third time and took 2 more sugar cubes (trying really hard NOT to over do it on the sugar correction!) and watched as it finally went up.  It was really frustrating missing 2 - 3 hours of sleep but sometimes diabetics have to do what diabetics have to do.    

No comments: