Wednesday, November 1, 2017

National Diabetes Awareness Month 2017

Today begins the month we seek to bring awareness to the metabolic condition known as diabetes.

I've covered several different aspects of diabetes over the years, so I've been racking my brain for a new angle.

I've been thinking a lot recently about commitment, satisfaction, empowerment, and control.  All of these things have become much bigger parts of my life while on a low carb diet and I wouldn't change anything.  I've become stronger, braver, and more determined to follow the course God has set for me while I walk the journey toward better health.  I am striving for these elements to become a part of other areas of my life because I've seen the benefits of implementing them on a daily or regular basis.  It hasn't been all rainbows and butterflies, I'll be honest, but it has been totally worth it.  I have the Lord and a low carb diet to thank, as well as the undying support and love of my family and friends in the diabetic community.   

On that note, I've been struggling with figuring out my insulin needs when it comes to covering protein with Regular insulin.  I'm eternally grateful for the TypeOneGrit community on Facebook that is so quick to offer support, encouragement, and suggestions for troubleshooting issues.  I don't know where I'd be without them.  I was able to determine that the protein/R ratio I was using wasn't quite enough.  I ended up doubling my dose (from 0.5 units of R per 1 oz of chicken to 1.0 unit of R per 1 oz of chicken) and saw much better results!
0.5 unit per 1 oz = a mess!  (both nights I tried this captured)
1.0 unit per 1 oz = smooth sailing!


















No comments: