Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Appointment with Carrie

I had my appointment with Carrie yesterday.  She said all my blood work came back looking great but, as I had guessed, my levothyroxine dose needed to be adjusted a little bit.  My TSH came back at 0.309 so she gave me a new prescription for 100 mcg (down from 112 mcg) to get my levels above the 0.490 uIU/ML that's in range.

And then...the results I was the most anxious for...my A1C....

With an average BG of 146mg/dl, I got 6.7%!!  (Dr. B A1C of 6.3%!)

She was, as far as I could tell, floored by my improvement.  She said that these sorts of numbers aren't seen in Type 1s (even though we all know they should be!) and she joked that I was her new favorite patient.  When I told her I had cut my Levemir dose down into 3 smaller shots, she was happy to hear it was working, but also told me about a new insulin that was a bit stronger that I could try if I wanted to cut down on the number of shots I take.  I'm pretty happy with the way it's working for me now, so maybe I'll save that option for another day.  I also told her I wasn't eating as many carbs, and she didn't have a problem with that.  "Keep doing what you're doing," she said. 

She gave us the green light for starting a family and then, when I was checking out, I showed her my straight line of blood sugars on my Dexcom screen from the past 8 or so hours.  She then turned around and showed it to another nurse, who told me she was trying to get her numbers down too (she was in the 7% range).  They both couldn't believe how little variation there was in my blood sugar trends. 

This gives me so much hope.  Maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to encourage and help other diabetics strive for the same control that I've been able to harness. 

No comments: