Sunday, July 5, 2015

19th Diaversary - From Darkness to Light

Today marks the 19th anniversary (or Diaversary, as we Diabetics say) of the day I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.  I almost can't believe it's been that long but, as I look back on all the years I struggled with my numbers, I can see that I have certainly gone through a lot in that length of time.

I'm so grateful.  I'm so grateful that God was patient with me when I was in darkness and sin, when I was in a bitter depression and raging against Him because I couldn't understand why He'd allowed me to get Diabetes.  I'm so grateful He protected me when I was tempted to just end it all and be done with myself.  I'm so grateful He stayed with me every step of the way and brought me out of the Valley of the Shadow of Death.  The green meadows and still waters are very much there, real, present.     

And I can only be grateful because of who He is and what He's done for me.  I'm also beginning to see the reason for it all.

Since the beginning of this year, when I discovered Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and the Low Carb, High Fat diet, I've felt God press something on my heart...that this LCHF diet is a good thing.  A necessary thing.  A lifesaving thing.

Just a few months ago, after receiving the news that my father was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, things really started to sink in.  This wasn't just something God was pressing on my heart for my good, but for the good of others.  And I knew it was something that He wanted me to pursue for His glory.  He was growing my passion for holistic nutrition, and I could feel it.  It was a burning passion I could feel so clearly. 

You may not know this but I subscribed to the Simple Carbohydrate Diet or SCD Lifestyle blog over a year ago when I was first looking for a healthier way to manage my Celiac and diabetes.  Then, a month ago, I was invited to attend a free webinar hosted by Jordan Reasoner, Steve Wright, and guest speaker Cynthia Pasquella.  I knew it had something to do with nutrition and decided to see what they had to say.

So what was the webinar about?  Holistic Nutritionist Training at their online academy.  My interest was beyond piqued and I started looking into it.  However, after doing some research, I didn't feel that their academy was the best place for me - their spiritual training courses did not line up with my own beliefs.  So I went in search of another academy that would be a better fit for me.

And I found it.

Now things have gone from Darkness to Light.

Diabetes (eventually) sparked a desire for better blood sugar control, which I have found by following a LCHF diet.  This diet, or way of eating, has fueled in me a desire to help other struggling diabetics obtain the same thing I've found.  And it seems God has opened up a door for me to be able to help them do so by giving me a passion for pursuing a Biblical Holistic Nutritionist Certification.  Please be praying that I'll continue to seek His will, and that He will open up all the doors I need to step through to make this happen.  By God's grace, He will see me through. 

"Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body."  1 Corinthians 6: 19-20 NLT

"No one hates his own body but feeds and cares for it."  Ephesians 5:29 NLT

No comments: