Monday, July 17, 2017

Magnesium: The Key to Fighting Insulin Resistance

I made a keto electrolyte drink this week and then a diabetic friend posted this article:

http://drsircus.com/diabetes/reversing-insulin-resistance-the-insulin-magnesium-story/

I knew magnesium was an important mineral but I had no idea it affected insulin sensitivity so much, not to mention all the other functions it plays in our bodies!  Magnesium deficiency is often overlooked, and I don't think it's hard to figure out why.  Our modern diet is almost completely devoid of good sources and actually plays a role in depleting our magnesium stores. 

So what is magnesium and why is it so important?

Magnesium is a vital mineral that plays a role in many bodily functions, including:
1.  increasing energy levels
2.  calming nerves
3.  quieting a racing mind and improving sleep
4.  improving digestion and relieving constipation
5.  relieving muscle aches and spasms
6.  regulating potassium and calcium levels
7.  supporting heart health, including blood pressure
8.  preventing migraine headaches
9.  preventing osteoporosis
(https://draxe.com/magnesium-supplements/)

It is also necessary for the function and manufacture of insulin.  I had no idea that it is responsible for transporting insulin into our cells where it is needed.  In other words, it helps insulin unlock the cells so that glucose can be metabolized.  Magnesium prevents the cells from becoming insulin resistant!

I seem to be struggling with a little bit of insulin resistance every now and then, especially at different times of the month.  Now that I've started adding this keto electrolyte drink to my diet, I am curious to see how much it helps my struggle with higher blood sugars during times of insulin resistance due to hormones.  I certainly feel more relaxed when drinking the KED (keto electrolyte drink) but I will keep an eye on the rest of my health and see where else I notice changes.

~*~*~*~

Tomorrow I get the results of my thyroid and cholesterol lab work back.  I'll be sure to update here when I know more!   

No comments: