Tuesday, December 12, 2023

The whole house needs new plumbing!

Max and I drove out to meet the plumber this morning to discuss our options going forward.  They've been very communicative and told me yesterday there was no water coming to our water meter.  I had to call the water company and have them send someone out to figure out why.  Seems it had something to do with the chlorine?  The plumber then explained that we had a pipe burst behind the master garden tub, and in 2 other places that were pretty lengthy (7-8 feet).  

He said our best and probably only option was to re-plumb the whole house in PEX, as our current pipes are CPVC and are prone to breaking.  It's only a matter of time before the rest of the 20+year old pipes give way.  Thankfully, they won't have to open up the floor, and they're going to install my new faucets for me!  I told them where the panels are to get to the pipes behind the showers and the washer/dryer.  I had to open up the WHOLE WALL panel to get to the water heater, and I want to figure out a way to utilize the space above it for storage while also making a door so it's easier to access that pocket.  I'll have a picture soon!

I had to order new hinges for our master bedroom door, and the cabinet glider brackets for the broken drawer glides.  I'm going to go out there tomorrow to work on some stuff, like hinges, door knobs, cabinet gliders, and stripping the kitchen cabinets!  It's high time I started working on them again!

2 comments:

rick phillips said...

I am wondering how this is working out? PEX does have some serious potential downsides. Be sure you consider the options. be sure and consider the potential wildlife attraction issues.

Rachel said...

What sorts of serious downsides, Rick?